Saturday, November 15, 2008

Back in Life

Hi Blog and hi all you potential readers out there, who still come and occasionally visit my Blog... It's been a while since I updated my Blog, but I didn't want to miss out to write at least one English entry. All of you who are not that familiar with English have to bear with me ;-)

It's already almost two months ago since I came back to Germany. It's really kinda scary how time flies by eh? (I had to through in some Canadian slang...) It feels like two weeks to me...

Anyhow, a lot happened since I came back. In the beginning, it was a bit weird to be back home, because life is quite different here compared to the Canadian one. It's more the small things, which still make me feel a bit strange. For example, if I go to the checkout I always want to ask the cashier "How are you?" or at public places it's weird that everyone speaks German and NOT English. Also in school, when class is done everyone knocks on the table and most people dress up when they go to class. Where are all those people wearing UW hoodies and sport pants?? Where are all those asian, arabic, and african students running around on campus? Why can't I bring anything to drink or eat to the library and why is school literally shut down after 7pm? A funny story happened to me the very first day I was back in Braunschweig. I was riding my bike on the wrong side of the road and it HAD to happen that this old, frustrated guy yelled at me for riding on the wrong side... He asked me if I'm aware of my impudence... I just answered "I know!" and kept on riding ;-) Since then I knew that I'm back in Germany, no Canadian would even think of caring about that!

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying that everything was better in Canada. Of course there are a lot of things which are really nice here. First off, beer is so much cheaper here and I still feel a bit weird about drinking alcohol in public ;-) You also don't get kicked out of the club at 2am and if there's a line up it means that absolutely noone fits in the club anymore! Girls dress up more...umm conservatively I'd say ;-) Food is also way cheaper here, espacially dairy products! It still makes me happy buying a mozzarella for 50 Euro cents, compared to about 7 bucks in Canada... Chicken is about half the price here, but steak is almost unaffordable :((

I think all those small experiences I made were probably the greatest things about this exchange. I now have a totally different opinion about a lot of things and see things with different eyes.

The greatest part of being back home are my friends and family. It's so good being back together with all those great people. I really enjoy meeting up with them, after such a long time you really appreciate such close friends.

If you ended up reading this then you really got through all this and hopefully understood most of it... I kept it short so that it's not too much English ;-)

Have a good one,

-Thomas
_________________
I don't want the world to see me /
Cause I don't think that they'd understand /
When everything's made to be broken /
I just want you to know who I am

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home